Improving the systems available during a mental health crisis can support staff and patients during a very difficult time of care. S12 Solutions is an app designed to reduce the time spent bringing the right team together for a Mental Health Act assessment.
Find your nearest AHSN
The current paper-based Mental Health Act (MHA) assessment set-up method routinely delays assessments because there is no easy way for Approved Mental Health Professionals (AMHPs) to identify available, local section 12 (s.12) doctors. S12 Solutions is an app and a website, developed by an Approved Mental Health Professional (AMHP), which connects AMHPs with section 12 doctors, making MHA assessment set-up and claim form processes quicker, easier and more secure.
We have often found it extremely difficult to find Section 12 doctors in an expedient manner when we have had a high volume of referrals. Doctor availability has improved significantly since the app was launched, which has led to a reduction in delays to assessments.
Dominic Marley, Lead AMHP for the London Boroughs of Richmond and Wandsworth, Team Manager, Wandsworth Borough Council
Wessex has been a fantastic AHSN to work with. Members of the team have helped me to have confidence in myself to build up S12 and have invited me to speak and attend some great events. Wessex are also undertaking an evaluation for S12 Solutions, and their team have worked really hard on understanding the complex area of practice we are innovating within. I hope that this evaluation will help us continue our spread and adoption work across the country.
Amy Manning, AMHP and Founder, S12 Solutions
How did the Innovation Exchange help?
Working closely with the founder of the company, the innovation exchange provided support through market insight surgeries and other one-to-one sessions as they navigated the NHS and care systems, with timely updates about the opportunities available for funding, evaluation support, and providing letters of support for applications.
Multiple AHSNs have supported S12 Solutions including Wessex, HIN (South London), UCL Partners, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, Innovation Agency NW Coast, Eastern AHSN, West Midlands AHSN, North East and North Cumbria AHSN and Yorkshire & Humber AHSN. Following the selection of S12 Solutions for the Innovation and Technology Payment (Evidence Generation Fund), the SW AHSN has been leading on supporting the company for national scale-up.
To understand the impact of the S12 Solutions Platform locally, Wessex AHSN undertook an independent evaluation on behalf of the Hampshire and the Isle of Wight Sustainability and Transformation Partnership (HIOW STP) with the aim of supporting national commissioning decisions. The evaluation adopted both quantitative and qualitative methodologies and used a pre-post approach, whereby the impact of the intervention was measured against a pre intervention baseline. The S12 Solutions platform officially 'went live' in Southampton and Hampshire on the 1 October 2019.
The innovation was piloted in South London in partnership with South West and St George’s NHS Trust alongside the five local authorities. An additional pilot in Cumbria provided real world evidence working with the local CCGs and County Council.
Amy Manning, AMHP and founder was selected as an NHS Innovation Accelerator (NIA) Fellow 2019/20 receiving support from the NIA team and broader AHSN Network.
S12 Solutions has now been adopted in different regions including Hampshire, Southampton, South London, Gloucestershire, Surrey, Peterborough and Cambridgeshire.
Impact & Outcomes
- The main findings of the Wessex-led evaluation were:
- S12 Solutions has provided Approved Mental Health Professional (AMHPs) across both Southampton and Hampshire with a larger network of s.12 doctors to call upon. Enabling the AMHPs to identify doctors more easily with appropriate skillsets (specialism, language etc) to best meet the needs of the patients
- A reduction in the time it takes to set up assessing teams for MHA assessments, allowing the AMHPs more time to prepare for assessments in line with the MHA code of practice
- The S12 Solutions platform allows doctors to specify their availability and therefore they are receiving fewer requests to attend assessments at times they are unavailable
- S12 Solutions has improved the efficiency of the s.12 doctor payment process
- S12 Solutions has positively impacted on the s.12 doctor’s experience of the claim form submission process
You can find the full evaluation report here and the evaluation slide deck here, detailing the main findings. For more information please visit S12 evaluation webpage.
- S12 Solutions is one of the digital solutions receiving support through the NHS England Innovation and Technology Payment 2019/20
- The average Sustainability & Transformation Partnership (STP) can expect annual financial savings from using the S12 Solutions platform to be in excess of £200,000 per annum from staff time savings
- 11 new jobs have been created and approximately £500,000 investment leveraged (FY 2019/20)
- The company has been adopted and scaled rapidly over the past 3 years in England.
- S12 Solutions currently supports 4,000 users and is now working across 70% of England (January 2021)