Improving the systems available during a mental health crisis can support staff and patients during a very difficult time of care. S12 Solutions is an app designed to reduce the time spent bringing the right team together for a Mental Health Act assessment.
Find your nearest AHSN
The current paper-based Mental Health Act (MHA) assessment set-up method routinely delays assessments because there is no easy way for Approved Mental Health Professionals (AMHPs) to identify available, local doctors. S12 Solutions is an app and a website, developed by an Approved Mental Health Professional (AMHP), which connects AMHPs with section 12 doctors, making MHA assessment set-up and claim form processes quicker, easier and more secure.
We have often found it extremely difficult to find Section 12 doctors in an expedient manner when we have had a high volume of referrals. Doctor availability has improved significantly since the app was launched, which has led to a reduction in delays to assessments.
Dominic Marley, Lead AMHP for the London Boroughs of Richmond and Wandsworth, Team Manager, Wandsworth Borough Council
How did the Innovation Exchange help?
Working closely with the founder of the company, the innovation exchange supported them through market insight surgeries and other one-to-one sessions as they navigated the NHS and care systems, with timely updates about the opportunities available for funding, evaluation support, and providing letters of support for applications. Multiple AHSNs have supported S12 Solutions including Wessex, HIN (South London), Kent, Surrey and Sussex, and Yorkshire & Humber. Following the selection of S12 Solutions for the Innovation and Technology Payment (Evidence Generation Fund), the SW AHSN has been leading on supporting the company for national scale-up.
Amy Manning, founder and CEO was selected as an NHS Innovation Accelerator (NIA) Fellow 2019/20 receiving support from the NIA team and broader AHSN Network.
The innovation was piloted in South London in partnership with South West and St George’s NHS Trust alongside the five local authorities. An additional pilot in Cumbria provided real world evidence working with the local CCGs and County Council.
S12 Solutions has now been adopted in different regions including Hampshire, Southampton, South London, Gloucestershire, Surrey, Peterborough and Cambridgeshire.
Impact & Outcomes
- S12 Solutions is one of the digital solutions receiving support through the NHS England Innovation and Technology Payment 2019/20
- S12 Solutions currently supports 740 users on the platform working in 16 mental health trusts, and 40 local authorities (February 2020).
- The average Sustainability & Tranformation Partnership (STP) can expect annual financial savings from using the S12 Solutions platform to be in excess of £200,000 per annum from staff time savings, more than four times the cost
- 11 new jobs have been created and approximately £500,000 investment leveraged
- New contracts secured – increase in take up from three CCGs contracts to 62 CCGs signing contracts (32% of total CCGs) and 89 (46%) of the 192 have agreed contracts pending